TunnelBear is one of the most attractive and user-friendly VPN service providers located in Canada. This company is self-funded and employs a team of around 18 members who are designers and developers who were previously working with corporations like Goldman and Sachs and Microsoft. The company presently has servers set up in around 12 countries, but intends to expand its services to other areas shortly.
TunnelBear was founded in 2011 and since then have adopted intelligent marketing strategies to reach out to their audience. The primary motive of the TunnelBear Company is to ensure online security for everyone. The process and procedures are very simple and can also be used by a person who is new to the VPN service.
TunnelBear lets you to instantly access restricted websites and blocked content without revealing your identity or your location.
PRICING PLANS AND DISCOUNTS
Similar to IronSocket, TunnelBear also provides the same package, however you will get better discounts if you sign up for a longer period. Currently, TunnelBear offers two variations of the package – Giant TunnelBear (1 Month) Plan and the Grizzly TunnelBear (12 Month) Plan.
1. The Giant TunnelBear (1 Month) Plan – This plan is the most sold out TunnelBear plan. You can get it for $4.99 per month. With this plan, you get an unlimited amount of data usage and usage flexibility. Another feature of the Giant TunnelBear plan is that customers can use one TunnelBear account on a computer system and two extra mobile devices.
2. The Grizzly TunnelBear (12 Month) Plan – This 12 – month plan is available for around $49.99. The features offered in this plan are similar to the ones in the Giant TunnelBear plan, but here you can make a monthly savings of $4.16.
3. Little Bear – TunnelBear also offers a free plan known as Little Bear, which is similar to the other two plans mentioned above but with a limited download of 500MB. You can increase the download the limit to 1GB if you tweet about them. As you can see, TunnelBear offers the best price among all the other VPN service providers.
SPEED AND RELIABILITY
Speed didn’t turn out to very impressive in the speed tests compared to the competitors. The speed oscillated between 10 – 20 Mbps and got only as high as 30 Mbps. But since P2P is not permitted, we think that 10 – 20 Mbps is enough for video streaming and casual browsing.
It has a very decent performance which doesn’t give users too many reasons to complain. Coming to reliability, the VPN server had trouble when we tried to establish connections to distant countries. Sometimes even though the VPN connection was active, the internet was not reachable.
The customer support is a downfall since there is no 24/7 live chat. The customer support is only through the ticket system. You can raise a query under the help section, and the team replies promptly to the email id provided by you.
However, they have set up a simple step by step tutorials on their websites which will help you with setting up. You can also go through the FAO section on their website which covers almost all the usual problems that users might face.
The Tunnel Bear is a very simple and easy to use VPN server; you won’t be needing the customer support often.
LOGS AND LOGGING POLICY
Yes, this VPN server keeps logs and records of the services, applications and the websites visited by its users. They collect the meta-data which records the period during which the users are connected online and also the amount of bandwidth that they use.
The TunnelBear supports OpenVPN protocol, which is excellent for secure and successful encryption and tunnelling of user data.
Turnover supports all the modern devices such as-
• TV Devices – It is compatible with almost all the modern TV devices such as Amazon FireTV, Apple TV, Samsung Smart TV, Roku, and Boxee amongst others
• Personal Computers
• Gaming Devices
• Smart Devices – iPhone, iPad, iPad and Android devices
AMOUNT OF IP’S
The number of IPs is unavailable since it does not share the IP amount and details with any third parties. This is the reason why TunnelBear is regarded as one of the most trusted and secure VPN service providers.
Currently, TunnelBear has servers in 13 countries such as-
• Asia – Japan
• Australia/Oceania – Australia
• Europe – France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom
• North America – Canada and the United States of America
SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS
TunnelBear is fully well-suited on all chief internet supported devices & operating systems. The list includes PC, Mac, iOS and Android devices. TunnelBear offers custom software for all devices.
All you need to do is download the official TunnelBear software for your Mac, PC, iOS or Android device without paying a single penny. To ensure maximum convenience for customers, TunnelBear applications allow its users to purchase their desired VPN plans through the software.
It is very easy to make online payments to TunnelBear. It accepts payment through all the well-known internationally trusted payment channels such as VISA, Master Card, American Express and PayPal. You can also make payments with Bitcoins.
Another concept that TunnelBear has introduced is to payments as jars of honey. You need to check on their website to know the exchange rates of dollars into the honey jar. All the payment channels supported by TunnelBear are highly reliable and safe.
Another thing you need to know before making payments to TunnelBear is that they don’t offer any refunds which won’t be an issue because they offer a very good VPN service.
• Easy to understand process
• Simple clients
• Smart programming to secure your personal details
• No logging of personal information
• Great security
• Decent speeds
• Free service
• No P2P which means better security
• Great value for money
• Limited advanced settings
• No refunds
• Speed gets reduced when accessing websites of far regions
The TunnelBear has a very interesting branding with a very simple and easy to navigate website. It offers great speed and excellent security from prying eyes. The pricing plans provide a great value for money and can be utilized for personal use as well. This is a wonderful VPN service provider, and we give it thumbs up!